Healthy Eating withWhole Grains
Whole grains are packed with vitamins and minerals.
This mini-lesson explores the importance of whole grains for health. Through discussions, activities, and handouts, participants will discover easy and tasty ways to incorporate whole-grain foods into their meals.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Identify the health benefits of whole-grain foods.
- Distinguish between refined and whole-grain foods.
- Read food labels to determine if whole grains are present in packaged foods.
- Distinguish between the fibre added to processed foods and the fibre naturally present in whole grain foods
- Suggest ways to include whole grains in meal planning and preparation.
A menu planning activity will help participants discover ways to add whole grains to everyday meals.